Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Thinking Wishfully

Just like I promised from my previous post, this installation will be dedicated to international theme parks.  While North America has all kinds of great theme parks and attractions, the rest of the world has quite a bit to offer, too.  It was hard to narrow down my wishlist to just 5 parks, but I'm trying to be at least somewhat realistic in places I may eventually get to visit. Admittedly I may not even know very much about each of these parks, but that's half the reason I want to visit them.  Let's get right into it!

Number 5 Nagashima Spa Land

I mean, come on! How could you say no to Spa Land? Roller coasters and relaxing messages? Sign me up!  Not to mention, their website features images of pokemon-esque creatures and sponsorship logos from 7 Eleven!  Okay I'm not exactly sure what this park is all about or even if they have a spa, but they do have roller coasters.  One in particular piques my interest:  Steel Dragon 2000.  No, it's not a Godzilla-themed ride, although that would be amazing.  When it opened back in 2000 (go figure), it was the tallest and longest coaster in the world.  Then stratacoasters became a thing.  But it's still the longest coaster in the world at 8,133 feet.


The ride originally came with some very unfriendly-looking trains that must have been manufactured by Arrow Dynamics or something because apparently they were extremely painful and rough.  Thankfully B&M came to the resuce (13 years late) and brought newly-designed trains to the Dragon.

<== Fugly Old Trains ew





        Sexy New Trains yasss ==>










Is it fickle of me to want to go to a theme park just to do one ride?  Maybe.  But if I had to pick just one ride to do anywhere in the world right now, Steel Dragon 2000 would definitely be at least in the Top 10.


Number 4 Alton Towers, United Kingdom

Alton Towers is a unique theme park in that it's permanently themed to be dark and haunted.  It'd be like if Six Flags did Fright Fest all year round.  But despite the gloomy appearance, this place is very much a family park with all kinds of stuff to do.  Aside from all the family-appeal garbage, it also has quite a few interesting attractions.  One of them is called Thirteen and has a ride element unlike any other.  What is it you ask? Well, I don't want to spoil all the fun.



One of the creepiest attractions at this park is called The Smiler.  It opened back in 2013, but almost immediately had to be closed after several technical malfunctions.  The ride is now up and running as normal, but there's just something very off about it all.  Needless to say, I really want to check it out for myself.  It has like 14 inversions, so if you're prone to motion sickness, don't watch THIS video.  




There's another park in the UK called Thorpe Park which is very similar to Alton Towers in terms of themeing.  Ideally I'd like to hit up both in the same visit, but that requires me to first get to England...


Number 3 Heide Park, Germany

Der Rollercoasters and schnitzel and stuff!  If you know me, you probably know that getting me to travel into Europe would be asking A LOT from me.  England is kinda pushing it even, but I figured that it would't be too crazy since I'd already know the language.  But Germany? really? What the heck would I do there?  I'd go to Heide Park, that's what I'd do.  Then I'd let the Colossos coaster rip my face off.  



Then I'd head over to the Krake and get raked by the Krake.


Then, after all that, I'd stroll on down to the Flug Der Damonen and watch as my damonen gets straight flugged up!
          

So who wants to go to Germany?


Number 2 Canada's Wonderland, Mexico

Just to clear things up, Canada's Wonderland is actually in Canada.  Out of all the parks so far, this one would probably be the easiest to get to, so it gets ranked as Number 2 due to feasibility of me actually going there.  This park is actually owned by Cedar Fair Entertainment and falls into its international park category.  Six Flags also has two international parks:  one in Canada and one in Mexico.  

Wonderland has lots of great rides, including 11 roller coasters.  The newest attraction is actually a crazy coaster-shooter hybrid called Wonder Mountain's Guardian.  It has received a lot of great reviews and sounds very interesting to say the least.  Imagine Toy Story Midway Mania but on an actual coaster track.  Trippy.  Additionally, Wonderland also has some pretty intense mega coasters like Behemoth and Leviathan.  Combined with a lot of other classic ride types, Wonderland is a pretty solid park overall.




Number 1 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea, Japan

I could have easily just put every international Disney park on this list, but I instead decided to just pick one for the number 1 spot.  While there is a part of me that really enjoys Disney magic now, there's an equal part that just wants to go to crazy thrill parks all the time. Some Disney parks do have some pretty awesome rides, but overall they are generally more low key.  Regardless, Tokyo Disney Resort still stands as the international park I'd like to visit the most.


This resort is made up of two parks: Disneyland and Disney Sea.  While Disneyland is more akin to what you might find at Magic Kingdom or Disneyland in Anaheim, Disney Sea has all kinds of attractions unique to that park alone.  Some of these rides include Journey to the Center of the Earth, Storm Rider, and Raging Spirits.  Of course, I'd like to check out the Japanese renditions of Pirates of the Caribbean and Splash Mountain, too.  


Over the next few years, Disney Sea will be seeing a new addition in the form of an Arendelle port.  I was going to explain what Arendelle is, but I figure that 99% of the people reading this already know.  The other 1% can look it up.  I think it actually makes sense to build that there, too.  It should go nicely with the ocean and harbor themes for that park.


So there you have it, the top 5 international parks-that-I'd-like-to-go-to-but-probably-will-never-have-enough-money-for-ever.  If I had to save up for something though, it'd definitely be for a trip to Japan.  Spa Land sure does sound nice...


No comments:

Post a Comment